As we descend into these chilling months of the winter, you may be nervously awaiting the dreaded cold and flu season. I have been working with bees and natural medicines for over 30 years and over this time I have picked up a few incredibly quick and easy recipes to truly boost your immune system and kick your body into fight mode.
Packed with vitamin-rich, all-natural ingredients (many of which are used within our own potion range), these ancient medicines are given to us from mother nature herself, and are the perfect alternative to any chemical-based treatments.
A quick note to my readers - I encourage you to find your local beekeeper or farmers market and source your honey directly from them as a majority of supermarket honey is un-ethically mass-produced with the health benefits stripped back - buy local and support your planet's ecology.
Without further ado, here are my top 8 all-natural ways to strengthening your immune system naturally by using only the incredible powers of nature, so sit back, pay attention and learn something new to add to your winter wellbeing ritual.
1) Honey and Cinnamon Paste
A classic recipe to get you started. both of these ingredients have multiple proven health benefits, and the combination of the two can be even more beneficial and delicious. If you consume this concoction on a regular basis it will boost your immune system and will protect from foreign bacteria and viruses. Both of the ingredients are a rich source of anti-oxidants and have anti-bacterial properties.Recipe:
- 1 Teaspoon of honey
- 1\2 Teaspoon of cinnamon
- Mix into a paste, add a small cup of warm water and drink.
Treats: Cold and Flu, Sore Throat, Upset stomach, Bladder infection, Lowers risk of heart disease, Weight Loss. You can even put the paste on blemishes to help clear these up!
(Photograph below by the brilliant Steve Painter)
2) Garlic & Milk Chaser
- 2 cloves of garlic - Peel, lightly crush and remove some of the ends and cut into thin slithers.
- 1 x shot of organic, free-range milk.
- Swallow these as a handful and chase with a shot of milk which will neutralise the garlic odour and taste.
Treats: Aiding the circulatory and digestive systems, boosting the immune system, lowering blood pressure, and fighting heart disease.
(Photograph below Pinterest)
3) Propolis and elderberry immune-boosting tincture
I have decided to release a Propolis and elderberry immune boosting tincture, (alongside out classic version) which has been made especially for the cold season to boost immunity and we have combined it with the antioxidant properties of elderberries. Every day for three weeks we mix the natural ingredients in a local Sussex 80% rum to extract the herbal goodness.
It works magic to soothe a sore throat when used as a mouth wash and provides antioxidants for the maintenance of good health. It is a source of naturally occurring vitamins, minerals, flavonoids and B vitamins. Many who take Propolis regularly report fewer colds, flu, infections along with greater stamina and energy.
Research has been done into the health benefits of elderberries and has shown to reduce influenza. I have made a winter elderberry tincture to combine with our propolis for an extra-strong natural defence. I love using elderberries too as the elder tree represent the feminine in all of us and that that needs protecting!
How to take:
- 10 drops of propolis in a shot glass of warm water.
- Gargle for 10 seconds and swallow. You can also add lemon juice to your mix and a little honey.
4) Honey, lemon, ginger, garlic and propolis daily cocktail
- 2 teaspoons of raw honey
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed and cut into slithers.
- Thumb size piece of ginger (peeled and sliced)
- 1 fresh lemon squeezed.
- 10 drops of propolis (optional)
- 800ml of warm water
Mix together. Then either add to a flask or litre water bottle and drink through the day when you are feeling run down.
Treats: Cold and Flu, Persistent coughs, Fights heart disease, lowers blood pressure, aids the circulatory and digestive system.
(Photograph below Pinterest)
5) Golden Milk
Having experienced various muscle injuries and the latest knee injury, I know it's time for me to make up some golden milk! It's such a simple recipe to follow and very effective for all sorts of inflammation around the body (including joints). It can also leave skin glowing from regular use, promotes good digestion and supports healthy brain function.
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 and 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup turmeric powder
- 1 and 1/2 cups filtered water, plus 1/2 cup more
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- Combine pepper, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine turmeric and 1 and 1/2 cups of water in a small pot, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Bring mixture to a very gentle simmer and add another 1/2 cup of water. Continue to stir with wooden spoon.
- Add mixed spices and continue to cook and stir on low for 3 minutes, until you have a thick and smooth paste.
- Turn off heat and add fat of choice. Continue to stir until completely smooth. (I like to use half coconut and half ghee)
- Add optional sweetener while the mixture cools.
- Transfer to clean glass jar. The mixture will thicken as it cools. Place lid on jar after the mixture has completely cooled. Give a little shake to prevent separation and store in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
Then use a teaspoon in some warm milk and add a little raw honey. DELICIOUS!
Treats: Inflammatory pain, Boosts the immune system, Promotes healthy digestion, Liver detoxifier, Regulates metabolism, Beneficial for skin conditions, Promotes healthy cholesterol levels, Improves brain function and reduces risk of brain disease.
6) Warming Essential Oils
How to use:
- adding a few drops of eucalyptus oil to 1 ounce of carrier oil and rubbing the mixture onto the chest and throat.
- diluting eucalyptus oil into a bowl of boiling water and inhaling the steam.
- Adding a few drops to a hot bath or shower, and having a relaxing soak while you inhale the gorgeous fumes.
Treats: Inflammation, relieve pain, and ease muscle tension that can result from a cold or flu, fights bacteria, relieves stress, eases congestion.
(Photograph below via Pinterest / Jill Nystul
7) Bee Warm Muscle Balm
Let me introduce our Bee Warm Muscle balm. It's one of our communities favourite winter essentials, Made from a combination of arnica, seven heat penetrating essential oils & hypericum (St. Johns Wort). This marvellous balm will soothe & relax. It helps to soothe inflammation & stiff, aching muscles. With its primary use being an all-natural chest and neck balm for dry coughs and chest infections.
7) Mindful Washing of Hands
I understand that washing your hands religiously during this time may have become a chore, but we better accept it, as it has had to become a part of our daily rituals for the foreseeable future. We might as well find a way to make it as enjoyable as possible wouldn't you agree?
- There are many beautiful all-natural soap bars which can fight off bacteria just the same as any supermarket brand. Just because it's not in a plastic bottle and green, does not mean it's ineffective.
- Spend a little time washing your hands, turn it into a beautifully enjoyable experience by learning a little about hand reflexology. It will help to improve blood circulation and energy levels in the body by stimulating pressure points. It will also give relief to stress and helps with Stress Management. Just imagine this kind of daily hand washing...
- Check out our reflexology chart below created by a very talented local young designer. Spend a little time learning about the various pressure points, and try a few out each time you wash your hands. Turn it into your own secret little ritual, and share with your children, family and loved ones.
Explore the rest of our gorgeous Bee Gold Skincare Essentials range, which boasts a 98% customer satisfaction rate. You can say goodbye to using four products when one of ours will do! Bonus: You consume less and you give more - with all profits going towards our Woodland wellbeing projects for vulnerable children and young people in the East Sussex area.
I am SO happy that I have found your products.
I have very sensitive tricky skin and am always a little nervous about trying new things, but I was swayed to try yours because you haven’t added any essential oils for their smell factor.
I have now been using all your products for most of this year and am loving them.
Thankyou for keeping them simple.